We went to this really scary church the second day we were in Puebla. The ceiling was covered with very ornate sculptures of angels playing instruments, and when we walked to the front of the church, there was a super creepy dead Jesus in a glass coffin. Had to get out of there because I was getting creeped out! Definitely nothing like the churches in Europe I have been to! The afternoon trip was to the pyramids in Cholula. They were built by the native Cholulans and covered by Montezuma who built a huge church at the top. They were VERY interesting and we had a great guide who taught us a lot! We ate some crickets and drank some beer and then headed home. The crickets were not so tasty and I was not a big fan of the crunching little skeletons! YUCK!
Scary church--doesn't look so scary on the outside but just wait!
Weird scary, very ornate angels playing instruments. Almost too much for this gringa to handle!
Random footprint outside the church-thought it was cool!
See what I mean?! Too much-Couldn't take a scary Jesus picture...would have freaked me out too much!
Scultpture of a famous priest-Juan Palafox y Mendoza. He had 19 kids..remember he was a PRIEST!
Pyramids at Cholula.
Sacrificial alter-15 year-old daughters of rich/important members of society were sacrificed in order to help the crops grow.
Another sacrificial alter-this is where kids who cried too much or had Down's Syndrome were killed.
Katharine BEFORE the cricket....
Katharine AFTER the cricket!
Steps of the pyramids...
Teresa and I on the steps--what a hike!
No comments:
Post a Comment